Wellness and Risk Reduction
The following gives an introduction to our approach in supporting a healthy community and protecting children while they are away from home. Please email us with any particular questions.
As a member of the American Camp Association, Hidden Valley is subject to regular standards visits. All recent visits have resulted in perfect scores on all mandatory requirements and ratings of 95-100% on 250+ items which examine all aspects of the camp's operation. Similarly, the Maine State Dept. of Human Services has established a regime of annual inspections which look at all camp areas.
- 3 RNs in residence, 3 commuting RNs
- All health and response protocols reviewed by physicians annually.
- Camp pediatricians trained at Harvard and Yale. They are located in Belfast, 17 miles away and available for daily consultation.
- Well-equipped professional Health Lodge handles all medication, first aid, etc.
- Prevention program includes sanitation regimes, daily discussion of benefits of drinking water, using sunscreen, etc., excellent ratio of supervising counselors, etc.
- Hidden Valley has supported children with diabetes, cerebral palsy, epilepsy, and others.
- Extraordinary menu choices can be found here. HVC easily accommodates food allergies including gluten, dairy, nuts, etc.
- Two week professional staff training in June.
- Training supplemented by separate certification and other skill building intensives in higher risk areas such as equestrian, aquatics, adventure and outdoor camping programs.
- Ongoing supervision in all program areas.
- 3 RN's in residence, plus other Red Cross trained personnel on staff
- In early June, Red Cross instructors and training professionals prepare lifeguards for the summer.
RISK REDUCTION EFFORTS
- Regular safety inspections.
- Annual consultation with insurance companies.
- Longstanding relationships with Maine's best and safest bus companies.
- Professional driver training for camp employees. Regular vehicle maintenance.
- High staff ratios in all program areas and cabin life.
HIRING AND EMPLOYMENT
- Extensive interviews and reference checks with all staff.
- Criminal background checks of employees.
- Continuous supervision and performance evaluation of all counselors.
- We "overhire" in order to assure that we can set high standards and retain only optimal staff.
- Local ambulance and fire service has toured camp and confers with directors annually.