Pre-Camp Staff Training
During these TWO WEEKS you will:
- Get acclimated to daily life on our 350 lovely acres.
- Discuss child development issues and relationship building.
- Develop lesson plans and participate in "practice classes" with your co-teachers.
- Explore methods of group building and conflict resolution with young people.
- Review a range of safety and first aid topics.
- Prepare for the many ways in which we can support children's emerging sense of independence.
- Commence creation of a family atmosphere in your cabin.
- Have Fun! We create a supportive productive international staff group, enjoy a day on the ropes course, visit the coast, etc.
Ongoing Staff Training
Throughout the Summer Season, Staff Training includes:
- Staff meetings every other day to prepare for special programs and address needs of campers and staff.
- Weekly lunch meetings with your cabin counseling team and a Director to discuss camper needs and plan cabin programs
- Ad hoc meetings in your program teaching areas
- Performance evaluations conducted part way through summer to address individual accomplishments and areas for growth
- Chats with Meg & Peter and the camp's five Program Directors whenever needed to address counseling and teaching challenges as they develop.
- Prior to our two week staff orientation, many staff receive training and credentials in Red Cross Lifeguard Training, Maine Trip Leader, and at the horse area and ropes course. Please ask us about these opportunities.
Staff Week Highlights
- Meet new people from around the world
- Learn about your campers
- Acquire a new skill or craft
- Spend a day at the ropes course
- Contribute in counseling workshops
- Enjoy an old-fashioned Contra Dance!
- Watch (or be in!) the Staff Talent Show
What HVC Staff Say
Of even greater importance is the high level of contentment and confidence I observe in the campers each summer- it gives me such satisfaction to see the growth of individual campers - including my own children. They really feel safe to take risks and push themselves in new directions.
- HVC Parent and Teacher
Thank you for being so supportive, sensitive and caring to the staff as well as the campers... I have personally grown this summer and this would never have happened were it not for the two of you... Peter - I shake my head in amazement watching you jump from meeting to meeting and still take the time to really be there for everyone on a personal level... Meg - thanks for being the universal "Mom" for campers and staff...with such compassion, fairness and true wisdom.
- HVC Staff