Pre-Camp Staff Training
During these TWO WEEKS you will:
- Get acclimated to daily life on our 350 lovely acres.
- Discuss child development issues and relationship building.
- Develop lesson plans and participate in "practice classes" with your co-teachers.
- Explore methods of group building and conflict resolution with young people.
- Review a range of safety and first aid topics.
- Prepare for the many ways in which we can support children's emerging sense of independence.
- Commence creation of a family atmosphere in your cabin.
- Have Fun! We create a supportive productive international staff group, enjoy a day on the ropes course, visit the coast, etc.
Ongoing Staff Training
Throughout the Summer Season, Staff Training includes:
- Staff meetings every other day to prepare for special programs and address needs of campers and staff.
- Weekly lunch meetings with your cabin counseling team and a Director to discuss camper needs and plan cabin programs
- Ad hoc meetings in your program teaching areas
- Performance evaluations conducted part way through summer to address individual accomplishments and areas for growth
- Chats with Meg & Peter and the camp's five Program Directors whenever needed to address counseling and teaching challenges as they develop.
- Prior to our two week staff orientation, many staff receive training and credentials in Red
- Cross Lifeguard Training, Maine Trip Leader, and at the horse area and ropes course. Please ask us about these opportunities.
Staff Week Highlights
- Meet new people from around the world
- Learn about your campers
- Acquire a new skill or craft
- Spend a day at the ropes course
- Contribute in counseling workshops
- Enjoy an old-fashioned Contra Dance!
- Watch (or be in!) the Staff Talent Show
What HVC Staff Say
Of even greater importance is the high level of contentment and confidence I observe in the campers each summer- it gives me such satisfaction to see the growth of individual campers - including my own children. They really feel safe to take risks and push themselves in new directions.
- HVC Parent and Teacher
Thank you for being so supportive, sensitive and caring to the staff as well as the campers... I have personally grown this summer and this would never have happened were it not for the two of you... Peter - I shake my head in amazement watching you jump from meeting to meeting and still take the time to really be there for everyone on a personal level... Meg - thanks for being the universal "Mom" for campers and staff...with such compassion, fairness and true wisdom. - HVC Staff