Our Beautiful Location
This is heaven... and if it's not, then it's in the same zip code. - HVC Parent
Our beautiful summer camp in Maine provides a multitude of opportunities on 350-acres of meadows, classic Maine woodland, and a large private lake. Acres of pasture and miles of trail support our thriving equestrian and animal care programs.
Hidden Valley’s serenity and open space are a lovely gift that has always stayed with me. - HVC Former Camper
Our nights are clear and bathe us in starlight...
Our privately-owned waterfront provides the perfect spot for a summer swim or windsurfing... One of the few summer camps in Maine with a private lake
I am sure that I am one of the many hundreds of former campers who dreamt of moving to Maine – or perhaps moved to Maine – because of their time at HVC. I think that Hidden Valley’s serenity and open space are a lovely gift that has always stayed with me. - HVC Alumni
Our Commitment to the Environment
Hidden Valley Camp is a participant in the Maine Youth Camp Sustainability Initiative. Many summer camps in Maine are striving to reduce their carbon imprints and use aspects of the camp experience to teach children about the many ways in which individuals and groups can conserve and recycle resources.
- Our dining hall limits food waste and delivers what is left to a local pig farm
- Campers and staff recycle paper, cardboard, plastic, glass, and metals. (Our town has one of the highest recycling rates in the State.)
- Campers participate in environmental community service projects each summer.
- We have installed energy efficient lighting in all buildings.
- Our two organic gardens use HVC compost and produce some of the vegetables used at camp.
- We've installed motion sensitive lighting at night.
- Lumber for construction at camp is harvested and milled right here at HVC.
- We purchase local produce where possible.
- Our HVC shopping bags mean that camp shoppers do not need to use plastic ones when procuring supplies.
- Peter's participation on the local Planning Board has us deeply involved in local land use, stewardship and preservation issues.
- Campers can choose to engage in community service projects that support local farmers.
- Hidden Valley teen campers have planted over 2,000 trees at Acadia National Park.
- Our pool is warmed via solar panels that heat water passively in 14 miles of tubing on a solar field.
HVC doesn't just provide the opportunity to improve canoeing or tennis skills, but also raises important community questions for kids to ponder and solve. Questions about sustainability, diversity, and conflict resolution -- these are real issues and the kids at HVC are invited to contribute their own thoughts on them. - HVC Parent
The camping tradition in Maine has long connected children to the natural world through experiences that promote simple living in an outdoor setting. Maine Summer Camps is committed to sustainability practices among member camps, believing that our summer communities must promote this lasting legacy.
Forward-looking Maine camps recognize that our children will soon become stewards of the planet. The lessons they learn and practice while at camp will influence their communities and beyond.
We were very impressed with the facility, grounds, lake, good vibes, quiet, very friendly, inviting, warm – a good feel for Peter & Meg – they knew our kid. - HVC Parent
Summertime, oh, summertime, pattern of life indelible, the fade-proof lake, the woods unshatterable, the pasture with the sweet fern and the juniper forever and ever... - E.B. White
Hidden Valley is a few miles inland from the lovely coastal towns of Belfast and Camden, home to working waterfronts, galleries and restaurants, and Maine's breathtaking coastline. Come Visit Us!
What the Experts Say
The combination of open fields, meadow hills, water and deep woods is just fantastic. I love all the creative and artistic touches, plus the whimsy of your signs and building names. I smiled and laughed a lot as I walked around, encountering that creativity at every turn.
-New England Camp Association Director
A Quick Look at HVC Life
Seen at HVC
HVC Through the Seasons
Coming soon... A chance to see images of HVC year-round.