Staff Travel Information
We know that you have lots to sort out with your arrival at camp. Some of you will be coming long distances to join us. We have tried to provide as much information as possible below. If you still have questions, or if you haven't told us your travel plans yet, please send us an email!
You are due at camp on the date listed on your Employment Agreement. As with all jobs, we expect people to be here on time. Of course, feel free to arrive earlier in the day to give yourself time to settle in. Please stay in touch with the camp office about your plans.
If You Are DRIVING to Camp
We'll expect you to arrive at camp by 4pm. Click here directions. PLEASE DO NOT USE GPS OR ONLINE MAPS for directions. Trust us, you won't end up at camp! Also, please let us know if you have room for additional passengers. Often, counselors use the Staff Facebook page to sort out a drive share
If You Are FLYING to Camp
For those of you arriving by plane, plan to arrive in Portland (80 miles away) by 3pm and we will pick you up.
If you arrive after 3pm, we may not be able to pick you up on the day of your arrival, and YOU will be responsible for the cost of spending the night in Portland. In this case you must arrive in Portland 1 day earlier.
If you are having trouble finding a flight please get in touch with us as soon as possible.
Please let us know your flight information by May 24th; this will help us with logistics.
If You Are taking the BUS to Camp
We'll be happy to pick you up at the Belfast, ME bus stop when you arrive. Please email us by May 24th with full arrival info. The bus stop is 18 miles from camp.
FOR 2018 ONLY: This summer, construction has shut down Belfast bus service. Instead take the Concord Bus from Boston to Augusta, Maine: Leave 12.35 PM - Arrive 4.20 PM or Leave 3.35 PM - Arrive 7.15 PM. Contact us for details/questions, and note NYC info below.
From New York City: There are two buses that depart New York City each day and arrive in Belfast, Maine. You should plan to take the earliest bus that departs New York unless there is a specific reason you cannot make an early bus. This is usually at 7am and arrives in Belfast, ME at 5:15pm. Your bus will depart from the Port Authority Bus Terminal. You will need to switch buses in Boston to a Concord Coach bus to Belfast. If you cannot make the 7am bus there is another bus that departs later and arrives in Belfast around 10:15pm.
From Boston: There are two buses that depart Boston, MA each day and arrive in Belfast, ME. You should plan to take the earliest bus that departs Boston unless there is a specific reason you cannot make the early bus. Please check with the bus company for times (usually around noon). The earliest bus will arrive in Belfast, ME around 5:15pm.
- Many of you are expected in camp (not merely in the US) on June 5th for Horseback Riding, Ropes, and trainings other than Lifeguarding. You must arrive at camp on June 5th as training begins early on the morning on June 6th. Details below.
- NOTE to Lifeguard trainees >> Those of you coming for Lifeguard certification must arrive at camp on June 4th as training begins early on the morning on June 5th. Details below.
- If you are expected to arrive on a different date (ie: if you are not part of these trainings), please see directions below.
- Please try to reserve your bus tickets to Maine ahead of time via internet.
- You can use the Staff Facebook page to coordinate with one another.
- Contact Peter with any questions about travel.
- Once in the US.... Please check in with us at any hour at 1-800-922-6737
Folks from Down Under scheduled to begin at camp on June 5th or 6th:
Arrival in New York: Do this no later than June 3th or 4th and plan for an overnight. On June 4th or 5th: You travel to Belfast, Maine.... Take a taxi cab to the Port Authority Bus Terminal in New York City (8th Avenue & 42nd St.) Find the Greyhound ticket counter and buy a ticket for the earliest possible bus to Belfast, Maine. Check ahead: there may be a bus at 6 or 7 AM. (Ticket costs are approximately $70; you'll be reimbursed after arrival at camp.) Note that this initial bus ride will take you as far as Boston. In Boston, you will have a short wait and then take a Concord Coach bus to Belfast (ticket covers both bus rides.) We will pick you up for the 25 minute drive to HVC. Note: Please call us in the morning from N.Y.C. to confirm that all is going well.
Plane arrival in Boston: See instructions for Europeans below.
If Portland, email [email protected] for details.
Europeans scheduled to begin at camp on June 4th or 5th:
If you arrive in NYC, see the directions above for Down Under staff, arriving in the States one day before you are expected to be at HVC, June 3 or 4.
Boston Airport Arrival:
- To land in the U.S and travel to HVC on the same day, your flight must land before 2 pm. This allows you time to clear immigration and do the following on on June 5th or 6th: Take a Concord Coach bus (departs hourly) from South Station in Boston to Portland, Maine. You must get on one of these buses by 6:30 pm in order to arrive in Portland by 8:30 pm at which time we will pick you up.
- If your flight lands later than 2:00 pm, you must arrive in the U.S. 1 day prior to the day you are expected in camp as it will be difficult for you to get to Maine the same day as you land. In this case, please make overnight accommodations in Boston and then follow Boston bus instructions to Belfast Maine, not Portland.
Those of you scheduled to begin at camp on days other than June 4th or 5th: You will arrive in Boston or N.Y.C. and stay overnight at a hostel reserved for you by your organization. From New York, find the Greyhound ticket counter at Port Authority and buy a ticket for the earliest possible bus to Belfast, Maine. Check ahead: there may be a bus at 6 or 7 AM. (Ticket costs are approximately $70; you'll be reimbursed after arrival at camp.) Note that this initial bus ride will take you as far as Boston. In Boston, you will have a short wait and then take the 12.00 (approximate time) Concord Coach bus to Belfast (ticket covers both bus rides.) You'll arrive in Belfast, Maine where we will await you at about 5 PM. Those of you originating from Boston, please follow the "Boston" portion of these directions.