Bus Travel to HVC
Bus travel is provided to camp on the first day of each of the camp's 4-week sessions. Each bus has 1-2 counselors who orient the group to their day of travel and get to know campers individually, introducing them to cabin mates, etc.
- All plans subject to change based on current health conditions.
- For logistical reasons, we no longer have a "NYC Bus." Please use Portchester, flights or drive.
- See below for info on bus trips.
- Look for an email reminder a few days prior to your camper's trip.
Prep for the Trip to Maine
- All times noted are for departure. Please arrive at least 30 minutes prior.
- Pack a lunch for your camper. No peanut butter please. Staff will provide bottled water.
- Ipods, gameboys, etc. are OK on bus only, then are kept in our office through the last day of camp.
- All camp luggage goes on buses.
- No cell phones under any circumstances
PARKING LOT SAFETY AND SUPERVISION
- Please wait for the bus to come to a full stop and wait for instructions from our chaperones.
- Supervise your children while the buses are being loaded.
- Please help with luggage, loading trunks first.
- Do not enter the bus. Say good-byes outside so that we can leave on-time.
COMMUNICATION WITH PARENTS
- Delays are avoided. Please note that if only one or two families are late we may only wait for a few minutes.
- We keep track of bus progress and will post a notice on Facebook or via email if there are significant delays.
- You will be notified shortly after bus arrival at HVC.
ABOUT THE BUS RIDE
- Counseling... Each bus has 1-2 counselors who get to know each camper individually and orient the entire bus group to their day of travel. They'll chat about camp life, answer questions and introduce campers to cabin-mates.
- There are bathrooms on all buses.
- We'll show age-appropriate DVD's on the trip
BUS SAFETY RULES supporting an enjoyable ride to Maine:
- No loud music or voices
- Windows must stay closed
- Stand up only when necessary.
- Only enter / exit with a counselor
ARRIVAL AT HVC
Upon arrival, our counseling staff helps move luggage. Campers are introduced to their cabin counselors who help unpack, settle campers in their cabins, etc. Dinner, a counselor show, and good-nights round out the day’s activities, with camp tours and other introductory activities the following day.
Bus Travel from HVC
For the last day of each 4-week session at HVC. Each bus has 1-2 counselors for campers' day of travel.
DELAYS: If your bus is delayed for a short time, do not be alarmed. For longer delays (from time to time, incoming New York buses are delayed in traffic), please look for messages via email or Facebook. Do not call our office as this clogs phone lines. Thanks for your understanding.
EARLY ARRIVAL: This is possible. We attempt to call or email families to alert you, and wait until scheduled arrival times for all families.
ARRIVAL: Please greet your camper and take responsibility for their supervision. Then help with luggage as noted below.
LUGGAGE: Please help us unload the buses and check all of your child's possessions are with you before bus departs stop.
LATE PARENTS: Often the bus is required to move on to another stop or back to Maine and cannot wait for late parents. If this is the case, your child will be left to wait with another family.
BUS SAFETY RULES: See above; these will be reviewed with campers on the bus.
IN THE EVENT OF EMERGENCY we will alert families via cell or email as quickly as possible.
Please inform us on the Transportation Form via your Online Camp Account.
Please do this by March 1st.
Pick-Up / Drop-Off Locations
PORT CHESTER: Kohl's parking lot, 431 Boston Post Road Port Chester, NY 10573
1st day of session, June 25 or July 23: Departure time: 9:15 AM (Please arrive 30 minutes ahead of time.)
Last day of session, July 21 or Aug. 18, 2021: Planned arrival time: 3:00 PM (Arrival time may vary as noted on this page.)
Directions to the Kohl's in Port Chester:
From NY (95-North): Take Exit 21 for I-287 W toward US-1 N. Keep right at fork and merge onto Boston Post Road/W City Ave N. Kohl's Parking Lot will be on your right.
From CT (95-South): Exit 21 toward White Plains/Tappan Zee Bridge. Immediately take the Midland Ave exit toward Port Chester/Rye. Turn right onto Midland Ave (for .6 mi). Take 2nd left onto Grace Church Street. Take first left onto Boston Post Road/US-1. Kohl’s Parking Lot will be on your left.
From I-287: Take Exit 11 toward Port Chester/Rye/US-1. Make a left onto Boston Post Road/US-1. Kohl's Parking Lot will be on your right.
NEW HAVEN, CT: Two locations, depending on bus direction. Note below.
1st day of session, June 25 or July 23: Departure time: 10:30 (Please arrive 30 minutes ahead of time.)
Location: New Haven Food Truck Festival; I-95, Exit 46, Northbound.
Last day of session, July 21 or Aug. 18, 2021: Planned arrival time: 1:30 PM (Arrival time may vary as noted on this page.)
Location: La Quinta Inn parking area on Southbound side of I-95 across from Long Wharf, Exit 46.
NEWTON, MA: Parking Lot at the Duck Feeding Pond, Across from the Marriott Hotel, off 128 South, after Mass Pike.
1st day of session, June 25 or July 23: Departure time: 10:30 AM (Please arrive 30 minutes ahead of time.)
Last day of session, July 21 or Aug. 18, 2021: Planned arrival time: 11:30 AM (Arrival time may vary as noted on this page.)
Directions to the Duck Feeding Pond
Take Exit 24 to Route 30. Go straight through the stop light at end of exit onto River Road.
Take second right onto Norumbega Road.
After passing under the bridge, bear right to the Duck Feeding Area.
Take exit 24, to Route 30.
At stop light at end of exit, left onto route 30.
After passing over the bridge, take a right onto River Road.
Second right onto Norumbega Road. Pass under the bridge, bear right to the Duck Feeding Area.