Hidden Valley AWAC Application Materials
Potential applicants: Please read.
- You CAN apply to be an AWAC if you will be 15 this summer and were in a teen program last summer or if you will be 15 and spent last summer away from HVC.
- You CANNOT apply to be an AWAC if you will be younger than 15 this summer or if you were in a regular camp cabin last summer.
Teens who meet the above criteria should download and complete the application below. The application is the beginning of our dialogue about your interest in the AWAC position and is a means for you to present a picture of yourself and what you can bring to the role of AWAC. Providing thoughtful and well-articulated answers will allow us to understand how you view the role and your interest in working with children.
- Fill out the AWAC Application. Take your time; this is how we get to know you better.
- With your parents -- Review and complete the Parental Acknowledgment Form.
(AWAC applications will not be considered without the completion of this form.)
- Submit both forms by October 21st.
What Happens Next?
- We will be in touch to confirm receipt of your application.
- If you do not hear from us within 5 days of emailing your application:
Please check your SPAM folder or junk mail to ensure it wasn't filtered out.
- If you still do not have an email, please get in touch with us to ensure it has not been filtered into our SPAM folder.
- We'll contact you after Oct. 21 to set up a November interview. Please read "phone interview" info in the right column.
- Decisions will be made by Thanksgiving time.
Parents of AWAC Applicants
Hiring process is candidate-centered! Parents are kept abreast and are asked to have their children take care of all communication with us.
Dates: AWAC's arrive 2 days prior to each session's normal Arrival Day for a 4-week program.
Tuition is approx. 3/4 of the normal 4-week fee. No "early" discount applies.
Information about Decisions for Applicants and Parents
These decisions are made by Peter, Meg and PD's and are often difficult. They are based on the same values and approaches that we employ when we hire staff. We will consider each applicant's paper application, interview discussion and our knowledge of each individual's history as member of the camp community.
Limited space: Every year there is a great deal of interest in a small program. We generally have approximately 3-5 positions for "new" AWACs to fill for each session and we anticipate a greater number of applications. It is possible that we will not be able to find room for some of you who are qualified for camp and of whom we are fond.
Parents and Applicants: Be prepared for possible disappointment as part of a serious hiring process. For example, a friend may be accepted when you are not.
Interviews are conducted via phone or Zoom by a key camp staff member, not the Kassens.
Take some time before the interview to think about why you want to be an AWAC and what you think you will bring to the role. Then, take a deep breath, and find a quiet and private spot to take the call.