HVC's Enduring and Resilient Community
So much hard work went into a healthy successful 2022 camp season. As previously, we consulted state guidelines, CDC and American Camp Association reports, spoke with medical personnel, etc. Most significantly, staff, campers and parents "bought into" the many measures required so that HVC could flourish under new circumstances. Many thanks to all of you!
While we made modifications, here's what remained deeply consistent: Camper and parent enthusiasm for what HVC has long offered! Children thrive at HVC because they are safely exploring outside their comfort zone, because they make new friends and find new role models, because they make independent choices, find their voices, take pride in their new community, and are recognized as their true selves in a creative loving space. This is the gift you have given your children and it fills us with excitement about a meaningful future at HVC.
Please read on...
Meg and Peter
Fall 2022 note: This info represents 2022 protocols. Watch this space for updates in the spring.
WILL YOU HAVE EXPECTATIONS OF PARENTS?
Yes, we will count on you to play a part in supporting community health including testing and boosters (see below) and pre-camp interactions as noted here...
- We have many health measures in place, but cannot control pre-camp exposure. As such we are requiring, for a 10-day period, that you avoid all unmasked indoor interactions outside of your household.
- Your decisions affect an entire community:
- You do not want to be the parent whose choices mean that your child misses camp.
- You do not want to be the family that is responsible for an outbreak at camp.
WHAT ARE YOUR TESTING PROTOCOLS?
Pre-camp, each child\ is required to get a negative PcR test as close to 72 hours prior to your arrival to camp or an antigen test VERIFIED ONLINE OR IN PERSON within 24 hours. Please read on...
- If you have no test camper enrollment will be cancelled and there will be no refund.
- If this test is positive, your camper must isolate outside of camp for 5 to 10 days (length of isolation TBD) and then return to camp.
Upon arrival children will receive a PcR test and or an antigen, and then an additional tests on Day 4 or Day 5 of camp.
WHAT ARE THE TEST REQUIREMENTS IF MY CHILD HAS HAD COVID ?
- If your child has had covid 90 days OR LESS prior to camp, please provide results of a VERIFIED ANTIGEN TEST taken within 24 hours of arrival at camp (not a PcR.) Please also provide physician’s written confirmation of infection.
- If your child has had covid 90 days OR more prior to camp, provide results as noted above.
PLEASE TELL ME YOUR VACCINE POLICY...
- HVC will require all campers to be vaccinated to the fullest extent possible. This includes boosters, so plan now!
- If your camper has had covid 90 days OR LESS prior to camp the booster requirement is waived. Bring/send proof of infection along with proof of earlier vaccine.
- If your camper has had covid 90 days OR MORE prior to camp, booster is required.
HOW ELSE WILL MY CAMPER STAY HEALTHY?
Following guidance and common sense, we expect to do the following and more:
- Articulate in-camp policies such as masks, social distancing, smaller groups, etc.
- Maintain the increased number of large covered outdoor spaces so that more activity – including many meals - can take place outside.
- Maintain hand-washing procedures before and after activities, meals, etc..
- With sadness, cut back parent visitation as noted below.
Staff hiring and training will be another key to our success of course. And lastly, we have confidence in our campers, who have shown themselves to be resilient and committed to community health measures at home over the past year.
MY CHILD IS TIRED OF MASKING...
So are we... Current conditions will help us determine masking policies. We will minimize this practice as much as possible. Most likely we will mask during the first couple of days, only when indoors with campers from other cabins. We will NOT mask in our sleeping/living cabins.
WHAT HAPPENS IF A CAMPER FALLS ILL?
Much as with other contagious illnesses, a child will be separated and supervised. If covid is confirmed, going home to convalesce for a required period is one possibility, depending on symptoms, distance to home, etc. Parents should be ready to take a covid-infected child out of camp for a period of time dictated by health protocols.
PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT THE HEALTH LODGE AT HVC...
Here's full info. We look forward to the perspective and experience that was brought to HVC by our three in-house RN’s and commuters in 2022. And the Health Lodge itself has a new entrance created to accept those with covid-like symptoms, separate from the bump-bruise-bug-bite crowd.
...AND THE DINING HALL?
We do expect more meals to be served and enjoyed outdoors. And rather than campers serving themselves, this will be done by staff. Overall, food quality will not change from its renowned levels.
HOW WILL YOU APPROACH STAFF HIRING AND TRAINING?
With the same professional standards as in the past 33 years. Additionally, interviews will intensify and - beyond the search for mature, child-centered individuals - will examine candidates' commitment to self-care.
Staff training will include prep for new routines and a look at the mental health implications of the pandemic on children and adults. Staff will have ample off-time as always, and will understand that most of it will be spent on our 400+ acres. And we're excited to welcome back a small group of former HVC Program Directors, four of whom are now camp parents, who will provide extra support to campers and staff.
MAY I VISIT MY CAMPER?
2023 Update: No visitation was allowed in 2021. Visits were limited in 2022 and this will continue, depending on current health conditions. Our blog will provide daily camp updates and campers will be encouraged to send you snail mail as always.
WHAT TEACHING PROGRAMS WILL BE AFFECTED?
Out-of-camp trips will only take place to uncrowded destinations... All other HVC instructional and recreational activities will proceed with proper precautions; no masks required.
CAN WE TALK ABOUT FINANCES?
Sure... This page addresses limited tuition insurance options, and also explains the refund policies camp now has in place. Note that "full refunds" are not available, as tuition deposits and other payments are used all winter to pay for overhead and summer prep. We fully expect the planning now in place to support a successful and robust camp season.
PLEASE TELL ME MORE ABOUT THE PRE-CAMP HEALTH REQUIREMENTS...
In spring 2023, we will establish routines for next summer. As noted above vaccines will be required. Please read last summer's protocols, below...
- BOTTOM LINE: We have many health measures in place, but cannot control pre-camp exposure. As such we are requiring, for a 10-day period, that you...
- Avoid all unmasked interactions outside of your household, and
- Minimize masked interactions to the lowest tolerable level.
- This does not mean you must be confined to your home for 10 days. We understand families must function and that it's important to participate in school, conscientious day camps and safe aspects of family life.
- It does mean this: Use common sense and skip all risky events like weddings, family gatherings, indoor playdates and sleepovers, restaurants and movies, youth sports outside of school, etc. that are not essential during that time...
- Regardless of local rules that might permit this activity, and
- Regardless of your vaccination status.
- Safe travel to HVC is permitted during this period. Maine's recommendations for incoming visitors may be less stringent. Our policies keep in mind the unique nature of the 24/7 camp environment.
HOW ARE THINGS IN MAINE?
We're doing OK, thanks. Our small - and busy! - winter staff functioned comfortably and safely. Now that we are vaccinated, things are a lot simpler and our outdoor crew is busy getting the place ready for all of you. The wide open spaces here have been a blessing in all seasons.
Take a look at general health planning.
Read frequently asked questions
How to help children with their experience of loss. We've been speaking with professionals about this and have acquired some suggestions for you.
Please contact us with your thoughts and questions.
Online Programs - Winter 2022-23
- HVC Parent
This year is extra sweet after the past 16 months... HVC will forever be a part of their childhoods. We are so grateful to provide them this…and more grateful for everything you all stand for at HVC and for what you have given our sons.
- HVC Parent
Thank you for taking measures to keep the campers safe. Beyond that, we could not be happier with our daughter’s experience, the art she brought home, and the stories we are hearing daily about life at HVC.
- HVC Parent