HVC's Enduring and Resilient Community
For three years we have all worked hard to protect our families and help children understand the limits that the pandemic has placed on us. A new change is upon us as restrictions are lifted and as we plan for another healthy productive summer at hidden Valley. Please read these details below.
HVC suspended its 2020 season, and for the past two summers we operated under significant set of protocols, Here's what remained deeply consistent: Camper and parent enthusiasm for what HVC has long offered! Children thrive at HVC because they are safely exploring outside their comfort zone, because they make new friends and find new role models, because they make independent choices, find their voices, take pride in their new community, and are recognized as their true selves in a creative loving space. This is the gift you have given your children and it fills us with excitement about a meaningful future at HVC.
Please read on...
Meg and Peter
WILL YOU HAVE EXPECTATIONS OF PARENTS?
Yes, we will count on you to play a part in supporting community health including testing and boosters (see below) and pre-camp interactions as noted here...
- We have many health measures in place, but cannot control pre-camp exposure. As such we are requiring, for a 10-day period, that you avoid all lengthy unmasked indoor interactions outside of your household.
- Your decisions affect an entire community:
- You do not want to be the parent whose choices mean that your child misses camp.
- You do not want to be the family that is responsible for an outbreak at camp.
WHAT ARE YOUR TESTING PROTOCOLS?
- Pre-camp, each child is required to receive a negative antigen test within 24 hours of arrival, please email a photo of the test results to [email protected]
- If this test is positive, your camper must isolate outside of camp for 5 days and then return to camp.
- Within 24 hours of arrival children will receive an antigen test, and additional tests as needed.
PLEASE TELL ME YOUR VACCINE POLICY...
- HVC will require all campers to be vaccinated to the fullest extent possible. This includes boosters, so plan now!
- If your camper has had covid 90 days OR LESS prior to camp the booster requirement is waived. Bring/send proof of infection along with proof of earlier vaccine.
- If your camper has had covid 90 days OR MORE prior to camp, booster is required.
HOW ELSE WILL MY CAMPER STAY HEALTHY?
Covid concerns will be combined with long term attention paid to prevention of the spread of colds, strep, coughs, etc
- Cabin cleanliness
- Hand-washing procedures before and after activities, meals, etc..
- Appropriate medical attention and testing for strep, covid, etc.
Staff hiring and training will be another key to our success of course. And lastly, we have confidence in our campers, who have shown themselves to be resilient and committed to community health measures.
MY CHILD IS TIRED OF MASKING...
So are we... Masking will only occur indoors for close contacts of positive cases for a designated period of time.
WHAT HAPPENS IF A CAMPER FALLS ILL?
Much as with other contagious illnesses, a child will be separated and supervised. If covid is confirmed, going home to convalesce for a required period is one possibility, depending on symptoms, distance to home, etc. Parents must be ready to take a covid-infected child out of camp for a period of time dictated by health protocols.
PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT THE HEALTH LODGE AT HVC...
Here's full info. We look forward to the perspective and experience that was brought to HVC by our three in-house RN’s and commuters in 2022. And the Health Lodge itself has a new entrance created to accept those with covid-like symptoms, separate from the bump-bruise-bug-bite crowd.
...AND THE DINING HALL?
We do expect more meals to be served and enjoyed outdoors. And rather than campers serving themselves, this will often be done by staff. Overall, food quality has not change from its renowned levels.
MAY I VISIT MY CAMPER?
2023 Update: No visitation was allowed in 2021. Visits were limited to Saturdays in 2022 and this will continue, mainly because the rest of us enjoy having 6 days when camp feels like "just us." Our blog will provide daily camp updates and campers will be encouraged to send you snail mail as always.
CAN WE TALK ABOUT FINANCES?
Sure... This page addresses limited tuition insurance options, and also explains the refund policies camp now has in place. Note that "full refunds" are not available, as tuition deposits and other payments are used all winter to pay for overhead and summer prep. We fully expect the planning now in place to support a successful and robust camp season.
HOW ARE THINGS IN MAINE?
We're doing really well, thanks. Our small - and busy! - winter staff has functioned comfortably and safely over the past thee years. The wide open spaces here have been a blessing in all seasons.
Take a look at general health planning.
How to help children with their experience of loss. We've been speaking with professionals about this and have acquired some suggestions for you.
Please contact us with your thoughts and questions.
Online Programs - Winter 2022-23
- HVC Parent
This year is extra sweet after the past 16 months... HVC will forever be a part of their childhoods. We are so grateful to provide them this…and more grateful for everything you all stand for at HVC and for what you have given our sons.
- HVC Parent
Thank you for taking measures to keep the campers safe. Beyond that, we could not be happier with our daughter’s experience, the art she brought home, and the stories we are hearing daily about life at HVC.
- HVC Parent